If there is an important encyclical in the history of the last century, it’s Humanae Vitae. Published in 1968. It was a year…
These are some of the things that also happened that year and whose echo is still alive today:
– The Vietnam War had started a few years earlier. But in that year the US embassy in Saigon suffered some terrible attacks.
– In Sicily there was an apocalyptic earthquake.
– Two great personalities were assassinated: Martin L. King and Robert Kennedy.
– It’s striking that an American bomber crashes in Greenland with 4 atomic bombs on board. Almost nothing. Things that are lost.
– The space race is at a very high point: both the Soviets (Zond 5 spacecraft) and the United States (Apollo 8) circle the moon.
-Begins the so-called «French May»
– In Prague the Prague Spring arises and the Soviets are in charge of crushing it under the weight of their tanks. All in a good spring-mode.
– The Beatles release «Hey Jude»
– A very famous band emerges: Led Zeppelin
– Nixon wins the election.
– In Nevada, atomic bombs are tested again and again.
– In Tokyo, the biggest robbery in the history of the country is committed.
– In the cinema, you can see two very interesting new movies: Planet of the apes and 2001: A Space Odyssey
– Thomas Merton and John Steinbeck die among more people.
– Famous people of today are born, such as Daniel Craig, Céline Dion, Marine Le Pen and Will Smith. The one who would be a skateboard messiah, Tony Hawk, was also born.